Personal Mission Statements

My previous post referred to Habit 2 from the book Habits of Highly effective people. I spoke about how Stephen Covey explains that we can all take action and re-script our lives. He suggests that we should all have a mission statement in life. They encourage you to think deeply about your life, to get clarity on what is important to you in life and your real thoughts and feelings. A mission statement will help to provide direction and provides the mental creation of your desired life.

I enjoyed doing my mission statement and answering questions I have not really stopped to ask. It was very interesting! To find out how to make your mission statement and get assistance Click here

For some of us this process won’t be too easy. Stephen explains that we live in a society, which is dominated by the left side of the brain, the logical side that looks at specifics and deals with analysis. Our right side is our creative side that has no time limit and is the visual side of the brain.

What can we do to start using more of the whole brain?

Stephen recommends two things to help with using the right side of the brain more- two things that I have always been a firm believer of, VISUALIZATIONS and AFFIRMATIONS.

You can visualize in detail whatever it is that you desire, using feelings and emotions. Then use these visualizations to write affirmations that will become programmed into your subconscious mind with enough repetition. This is all about becoming clear on what you want and actively creating it.

Quickly touching on using the whole brain – the left brain is needed to help capture what is going on in the right brain. Writing, for example, is needed to put your thoughts down, to make a step by step plan with logical thinking (left brain), to get you actively achieving what you have created in your imagination ( right brain).

I have a habit of getting too caught up in a certain area of life,  for example getting so booked up during the  week seeing different friends and family, that I am too tired any mornings to go for a run or do a bit of yoga. My mission statements cover all the different areas of my life that are important to me, so I remember to have balance and share my time.

Let me know how you get on with your mission statements and if you found them useful!

Thanks for reading and have an amazing day!

Taryn.

Advertisements

14 Comments Add yours

1. Henrietta Watson says:

A very good post. Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much! Thanks for reading 🙂 have a lovely day

1. Henrietta Watson says:

You are welcome!

2. Myles Butler says:

Thanks a ton for sharing that link! I’ve been meaning to rewrite my mission statement and this should really help with that.

Liked by 1 person

1. Amazing! Your welcome! I so enjoyed creating mine, I feel much more motivated?

Liked by 1 person

3. Lively Life says:

When writing my mission Statements i have made them quite colourful and inviting to the eye so it is more appealing to me in a visual sense 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Amazing , yes I might liven mine up too 🙂 great tip

Liked by 1 person

4. Wendy says:

Some great tips here… Have you tried ‘vision boarding’ too? I find they are really effective in focussing the mind.. x

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes I have, I am a huge promoter of vision boards- so fun creating them too!

Liked by 1 person

1. Wendy says:

Oh me too – I love them and thoroughly enjoy taking the time to create them too! xx

Liked by 1 person

5. Yes I have, I am a huge promoter of vision boards- so fun creating them too!

6. Writing a mission statement suddenly gives you an embodiment of purpose. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Definitely agree! I’m gonna update mine for the new year 🙂

7. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    I love the inspiration I find on Unite and Inspire!